The Home Office will not reinstate support where accommodation has not been found or benefits are not in place. You will need to speak to your local council housing options team to see if they can provide you with emergency housing, or provide details of any homelessness support available locally. If you have applied for Universal Credit, you should contact the helpline to request an advance payment.

The Home Office may consider reinstating support if one of the following apply:

If you receive a termination of support letter or notice to quit and

  1. You have not received 7 days’ notice.
  2. You have not received your BRP
  3. You have reported the errors on you BRP and these have not yet been corrected.
  4. Or you require adaptations to your property.

If you meet these criteria, please contact our helpline on 0808 8010 503.